Wednesday 9 March 2011

Algo changes plus hubpages changes

It's been a while since I updated this blog (too busy with other stuff!). But the new Google Algorithm change combined with the new Hubpages earnings program prompted me to post again, especially as this blog was focused on me making some hubpages.

I didn't make many - about 60 in total, before I moved on to more lucrative matters (making my own websites). And I haven't really touched the hubs for a good ten months, in terms of crating backlinks.

So how did I fare in the algo change? Well, my overall traffic is down 25%. Those hubs that I backlinked, moved a few places, some not at all. Those I made at the end, which I was too lazy to backlink (as had already started other projects) fell off the radar. So I'm obviously going to have to put in a bit of work to get them back ranking.

One thing this algo change proves is that backlinks rule. As long as you get them from places that don't get targetted by G (i.e. not from other content farms), you survive. As far as I can tell, most of those who got hit either had no backlinks, or were linking from one farm to another, and when the farms got cut down, they got cut down too.

The next thing I want to talk about is Hubpages new advertising program. These are display ads and ads from other networks (such as the Microsoft network) that run alongside Adsense. They are trialling it with 500 hubbers and even though I have just 60 hubs in my account, I was invited, to my surprise.

My impression is that it's not bad. Some people are reporting that they are making more from the Hubpages advertising program than they are from adsense - my experience is that the HP program yields about half what Adsense yields - but it's a nice additional income.

It's made me think it's worth backlinking some of the hubs I neglected, such as my poor orphan hub on the difference between 9ct and 18ct gold, which I had just published and forgotten about.

No comments:

Post a Comment