Wednesday 8 April 2009

Titles of Hubpages and Blog posts - some thoughts

Though I put adsense on my Nicholas Sarkozy hubpage, I found I was still getting dating ads. It suddenly dawned on me that it was because I had used the word "wives" in the title. So if I want different ads to show up, I need to think up a new title.

Serves me right for writing that hub in the first place! My original plan was to write hubs on things people would Google in a recession, and my get out of debt hub fitted that strategy. But then I thought it would be "fun" to write something a little topical and gossip like.

And it was fun to write, and I am getting readers. But the people who read hubs like that don't click ads, why would they. There isn't anything for them to buy, their "need" was one for gossip, which I neatly fulfilled by writing the hub. They leave satisfied, I sit here wondering why I am still poor.

Moral of the story: they only things that make you money are the bread-and-butter things - how to get out of debt, how to make a chocolate cake, that sort of thing, where people need to buy a service or good to complete their need, whether it is a cookbook or some flour. News and gossip doesn't make anyone any money, because the people who read it don't necessarily have any need that would be fulfilled by the ads.

No comments:

Post a Comment